top of page

What form should I fill out if I want to apply for a passport card after already having a passport book ?

Many travelers enjoy the convenience and security of having both a U.S. passport book and a passport card. While the passport book facilitates international travel by air, the passport card is a compact, wallet-sized alternative that is valid for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. If you're considering adding a passport card to your travel documents, here’s what you need to know about the application process.

passport card form

Understanding the Passport Card

First introduced in 2008, the U.S. passport card serves as a convenient, wallet-sized document that certifies U.S. citizenship and identity for land and sea travel. However, it's important to note that the passport card cannot be used for international air travel. For travelers who frequently visit neighboring countries by land or sea, having a passport card is an efficient way to expedite the documentation process.

Required Form for Passport Card Application

If You Already Have a Passport Book:

If you currently hold a valid U.S. passport book and wish to apply for a passport card, the process is straightforward. You will need to fill out Form DS-82, the "U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals."

Key Steps in the Application Process:

  1. Complete Form DS-82: This form can be filled out online and then printed, or you can manually complete a printed version. Ensure all information is accurate and matches the details in your current passport book.

  2. Submit Evidence of U.S. Citizenship: Even though you already have a passport book, you'll need to submit it with your application for a passport card as proof of U.S. citizenship. Your passport book will be returned to you by mail once the process is completed.

  3. Provide a Passport Photo: Attach one recent passport photo that meets the strict requirements set by the Department of State. The photo must be 2x2 inches, taken in the last six months, and adhere to all other passport photo guidelines.

  4. Pay the Applicable Fee: As of the latest update, the fee for a passport card for adults (applying with Form DS-82) is significantly lower than that of a passport book. Make sure to check the most current fees on the U.S. Department of State's official website to ensure correct payment.

  5. Mail Your Application: Send your completed Form DS-82, your current passport book, the passport photo, and the correct fee to the address specified for passport card applications. It's recommended to use a traceable delivery method to submit your documents securely.

Additional Considerations

  • Processing Times: While processing times can vary, check the current estimated times on the Department of State's website to plan accordingly. Expedited processing options are available for an additional fee if you need your passport card sooner.

  • Validity Period: For adults over the age of 16, the passport card is valid for 10 years, matching the validity period of the passport book.


Applying for a passport card in addition to your passport book is a practical decision for frequent travelers to nearby countries by land or sea. By following the correct process and utilizing Form DS-82, you can enjoy the convenience and benefits that come with having both travel documents. With State Document’s expertise and support, you're assured a hassle-free application process, ensuring you’re well-prepared for all your future travel adventures.


bottom of page