top of page

What should I do if my passport is significantly damaged?

Updated: Feb 2

Damaged Passport

In the event that your passport has suffered substantial damage, particularly to the book cover or the page containing your personal information and photo, it will be necessary for you to request a new passport. To start the process with our service, please visit our page about passport application

To replace a passport for a damaged one, you will need to present the following items in person:

  1. The damaged passport;

  2. A signed and dated statement addressed to “The US Department of State” detailing the damaged or altered state of your passport book and/or card; the statement must specify that the damage was unintentional.

  3. All the documents required for a new passport application.

bottom of page